Thursday, December 1, 2011

Welcome to Atomic Stables!

Hello, and thanks for visiting!


One of the most enjoyable parts of showing model horses for me is making things myself.  You don't need to spend hundreds of dollars on someone else's stuff to win....the best feeling in the world is to look at an entry YOU made, knowing full well that your entire scene cost less than the next competitor's saddle alone.  Making your own tack, props and customized models allows you to have something truly unique, without paying the price of a professional commission.  It's not for the faint of heart, but it is satisfying.


I'm a fan of the unusual, so future posts will talk about things like harness entries - there's so much more than just pleasure harness!  "Other Performance" is also a favorite of mine.  I also make props - jumps, scenic bases for trail scenes, and more, and will show some of those techniques as well.  Harnesses, horse-drawn vehicles, saddles, and custom horses in Traditional and Stablemate scales are on my to-do list.

My first series of posts will detail the creation of Nirvana, a Traditional scale custom mustang.  He is a portrait model of one of my favorite horses I have known, and I will be trying out several techniques I have never done before.  So stay tuned!  The Nirvana project is coming soon!
(computer edited mockup of what's ahead!)

No comments:

Post a Comment