Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Nirvana: Part 2

I've finally gotten to the second side of Nirvana's neck.  I started the first side back in December....but anyhoo.  This side only took about 2 hours.  I'm sure it will need some more work, but hey, there's sort of muscles!  I'm following a technique from Don't Eat the Paint.  It's a little scary, as I've never resculpted a neck before, but her tutorial is really great.
Usually I use a hair dryer for a few minutes first.
 I like to set any epoxy next to a heat vent to cure overnight.  This one's in the bathroom - small room, stays nice and toasty, and no worries about damaging the linoleum.  The iron is holding him up, as he is once again unstable.  The weight of the neck is unbalancing him again.  I started to add more epoxy to his cannon bones because the real Nirvana has chunkier legs, but the epoxy was starting to cure so I had to leave it.  And I just remembered I will have to move his right foreleg a bit anyway.  Oh well.
Normal people would fix the crooked leg first...
I also tried making some ears.  I've never done this before, so we'll see how they look when they're done.  Again, this technique is from Don't Eat the Paint.
 As for epoxy, I much prefer Apoxie Sculpt.  Gapoxio is ok, but I really hated trying to sculpt wearing gloves.  I have tiny hands, and "one size fits all" gloves don't.
Both of these are at least 3 years old.  The Apoxie Sculpt part B is starting to dry out on top but still works fine.  No idea about the unopened Gapoxio.  And this is why I never buy the big tubs, I'm usually just resculpting hair on Stablemates.
Apoxie Sculpt is available here, and Gapoxio is available from Rio Rondo.

So Nirvana has a neck again.  In the morning I'll check to make sure the epoxy set, then start sanding.  And find the heat gun and a dremel, so I can fix his leg....

No comments:

Post a Comment